Thursday, June 04, 2009

An Update from Patrickland

I know, I am lazy. Well, I am not lazy, but I just don't have the time to update my blog the way that I would like. in case you're wondering, here's what's happening "in America, AKA, Patrickland":

  • I am not sure where the time goes. I am up at 6:30 and I'm running around with all the household and kid stuff and still don't seem to make any progress. I thought that in Moving to America, I was going to sit around and eat bon-bons all day. I'm wondering when that starts because I'm too busy!
  • The kids are now out of school and I officially don't know what I will do when I have them both home all day, every day. Good thing the Vodka is handy!
  • Through the year they have been busy with ballet, gymnastics, ice skating, soccer, swimming and sometime skiing. Yes, I am "that woman" who has her kids in too many activities. My rationale is that they want to do all this stuff, and if they don't, then there's nothing to do after school here because no one in Omaha ever goes outside to just "play". In Charlestown you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a stroller, and here everyone just drives from huge SUV into their garage and closes the door. Sigh...........
  • Omaha is a great city for lots or people. I am just not one of them. After almost 3 years, I am more and more convinced that I am a devout urbanite who belongs in a city with a large body of water, and the muddy icky Missouri River doesn't count.
  • The kids are at a wonderful private school and Sophie is reading much better than her parents ever did at that age. The school is the equivalent of BB&N, Shady Hill, or Chestnut Hill but significantly less expensive. I guess that's one good thing about Omaha!
  • Despite having a lot of nice friends, and doing lots of volunteering at the school (sustaining committee, chair of the Silent Auction, etc....) I still miss Boston, and would be on the next bus outa here if I could!
  • Long term plan - yes, we do have one. We've come to terms with Neal's career situation. As a senior executive in a corporate setting, his gigs will likely only ever be 3-5 years - sometimes more, sometimes less, but generally, at that level there can easily be a change in which way the wind's blowing and you're out. So it looks like we are doomed to be nomads, moving around. As someone who was traumatized by moving 5 blocks in Charlestown, this doesn't sit well with me, but I guess this is just life. Our objective is to now get back to the East Coast and buy a Cape house, which would be "home" for us. Then we would just rent wherever the job is, and come back to Massachusetts in the summers so the kids has a consistent "home". Who knows it that will truly work out, but it's our goal. Keep your fingers crossed!
  • I have yet to meet Warren Buffett. I did see him at a football game once sitting in the next box, and I do know his friends (they the grandparents of Sophie's friends) but I haven't actually met him yet. I think I will go hang out at a join where he's known to eat lunch. maybe he'll come in and I can get a picture for our Christmas Card!
  • I am still waiting for the bon-bon eating to begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home